Abbey Hey FC
Abbey Hey Football Club was established in 1902 as Abbey Hey W.M.C. After joining the Manchester League, the club were required to have an enclosed ground, and moved to St Werburghs Road in Chorlton-cum-Hardy. However, two years later they were required to leave, moving back to Abbey Hey to a ground named for councillor Godfrey Ermen.
After eighteen years at Godfrey’s, the club were told to move out. They spent two seasons playing at the English Steel ground, during which they negotiated the purchase of land at Goredale Avenue in Gorton, on which they built a new ground, their current home, the Abbey Stadium.